Kansas GOP Insider (wannabe): Paaaarty!

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Paaaarty!

So tonight, there's going to be a Johnson County Republican Party Election Party. Almost all local Republican candidates will host their volunteers, campaign staff and party activists together in one location.

This doesn't happen everywhere. In other places, individual candidates host their own parties. The joint event is one of the best perks of the JCRP, and I think it helps create party unity. Everyone will be there -- at least one representative from the Governor's office, probably Lt. Gov. Colyer, Kevin Yoder, Johnson County's dozens of statehouse representative candidates and state Senate candidates.

It's a great place to see and be seen. And that's one of my least favorite things about the election night events. Hundreds of people will be there. At some points the DoubleTree ballroom will be so jam packed it will be impossible to get around. It will be incredibly loud. Typically, there are musical performances and political speakers as well as cocktails.

I love and dread this event. This campaign has been one of the longest in my recent memory. I walked precincts almost daily this summer sweating to death in the 100-degree heat. I've phone banked, lit dropped, parade marched, and now I'm tired. If I had my choice, the party would consist of pizza, close Republican friends, a few televisions turned to Fox News and CNN, a six pack and sweat pants.

That's not what's going to occur tonight. As I type -- and it's still three hours from poll-closing time and even longer until we have local results -- people are in the OP Doubletree ballroom setting up.

There will be cocktail dresses, neatly pressed suits, uncomfortable shoes, news cameras and awkward conversations. BUT everyone who attends will probably get to meet new people and hopefully the evening will end with some cheers as Romney walks away with the presidential election.

I'll be the one in the corner holding my shoes hoping to hear what the analysts are saying on television.

Side note: I hear there will also be a presentation to Ronnie Metsker, Marearl Denning, Doris Riley and Mike Kukelman. The foursome serves as leadership for the JCRP. At least two of them -- Denning and Riley -- have said they do not seek to hold their leadership roles next  year.

Second side note: The party starts at 6:30 p.m. at the Double Tree in Overland Park, 10100 College Blvd. The general public is invited. Cash bar.

1 comment:

  1. The GOP in Shawnee and Sedgwick counties also host election night parties.

    ReplyDelete